Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:59:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mell miller <mell_73044@yahoo.com>
To:        "Plunkett, Ian Gregory (UMC-Student)" <igp473@mizzou.edu>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem problems

i'm sure you've already checked into this but, is it an actual modem or is it a winmodem,

"Plunkett, Ian Gregory (UMC-Student)" <igp473@mizzou.edu> wrote:Hello list,

I just installed FreeBSD 5.0 and I am trying to work all the kinks out. One problem I am having is the modem. I tried connecting to my ISP with ppp. When I switch to terminal mode, I can't enter any of the commands except the ~ sequences. I am pretty sure this has to do with the fact that my modem isn't being recognized by the OS. (at least I think it's not). According to Windows ME (both OSs are loaded on my machine) the modem, which is a Conexant HCP V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem, is located at COM3, its IRQ channel is 11, the I/O is located at 0xDFE0-0xDFE7. I checked the devices.hints file, and sio2 (COM3) was disabled, so I enabled it and changed the IRQ value, and the I/O for sio2. Now when the kernel loads, when it tries to load sio2, I get a message about, IRQ 11 not being recognized and below that a message that says something like port may not be enabled. I didn't write the messages down before I started writing this email, if they are necessary, I get them.

well, that's about it, the kernel isn't recognizing the modem, and I am sort of stucks

thanks,
ian