Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 06:55:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd Machine Crashes

--------------Boundary-00=_QBIZSPG00M3NTT4D7TH0

Hi.

I'm trying to figure out why my machine is crapping out every night.
There are some odd messages coming from named and the machine is
obviously running out of memory.

Here is one of the named messages. I'm not 100% confident that this
is my problem but it seems odd:
Apr 18 06:20:10 frodo named[43474]: ns_resp: TCP
truncated: "29.115.254.207.in-addr.arpa" IN PTR from
[207.254.115.2].53

Name:    webterminator1.crystaltech.com
Address:  207.254.115.2

Hrm... Odd name for a machine.

I had problems with a perl script going wild and eating my 1Gb of
memory and swap but I've limited its resources after overcoming a
nasty error. It turns out if you have a space at the end of a line in
login.conf it will silently ignore the rest of the restrictions in
your class!

Apr 17 22:03:14 frodo /kernel: pid 2192 (named), uid 0, was killed:
out of swap space

I don't believe there is a problem with the version of named...
named 8.2.3-REL Sun Feb 18 11:47:44 EST 2001

I've since started limiting the resources of class daemon and running
named under that user. I'm not sure if this is correct or if FreeBSD
will even respect the class when a daemon is started as root.

bash-2.03# limits -C daemon
Resource limits for class daemon:
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kb
  datasize         infinity kb
  stacksize        infinity kb
  coredumpsize     infinity kb
  memoryuse          131072 kb
  memorylocked     infinity kb
  maxprocesses           64
  openfiles            1024
  sbsize           infinity bytes

If for some reason named goes bezerk this I believe should limit it
to 128m of memory.

I also tried limiting user http with the following class:
Resource limits for class http:
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize           819200 kb
  datasize            65536 kb
  stacksize           32768 kb
  coredumpsize         8192 kb
  memoryuse          131072 kb
  memorylocked        23552 kb
  maxprocesses          128
  openfiles            1024
  sbsize           infinity bytes

I did this in case a bug in a CGI is causing problems. Unfortunately
nothing seems to respect this limit.

Since these crashes seem to be happening in the middle of the night I
can't seem to catch the program that's eating the memory. Any ideas?

-Michael