Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:05:25 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        mi007@rocketmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versions

--------------enigDE8AACE8B30F9A6962F17335

Mernoz Rostangi wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I would like to know if the FreeBSD 8.0 IA64 can be used on 32bit cpu a=
lso ?
>=20
> If yes, what is the difference between IA64 and x86 versions ?
>=20
> :-)
> ./m

Nope.  You're mixing up IA64 (the Itanium) with AMD64 (All modern AMD
chips, and Intel chips like the Core 2, Xeon, I7).  amd64 is a historic
name, because AMD invented the architecture, which Intel later copied.
It's frequently called x86_64 in other OSes.

All x86_64 chips can also run in x86 (32 bit) mode.  As far as I know,=20
IA64 was only ever a 64 bit architecture.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3