Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:30 +0100
From:      "Graham Anderson" <ganderson@dusa.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SYN scans and ipfw/kernel options

I'm looking for advice on some options to help against SYN and other =
stealth
scans.

Ive compiled my kernel with TCP_DROP_SYNFIN option but have read that
enabling this with tcp_drop_synfin=3DYES in rc.conf may not be the best =
thing
to do if I want to use httpd. What are the problems with using
tcp_drop_synfin=3DYES on a web server? Will it break anything or is this
simply non RFC compliant?

Also does this simply drop packets with both SIN+FIN or either of them?

Also trying to config a kernel with TCP_RESTRICT_RST fails as an unknown
option. Like ICMP_BANDLIM Is this enabled by default on CURRENT?

If I shouldn't use tcp_drop_synfin=3DYES in rc.conf on a web server what =
rule
would be suitable for dropping SYN packets in my ipfw ruleset?

Cheers

Graham

----------------------
Graham Anderson
Dundee University Students Association
DUSA
Airlie Place
Dundee
DD1 4HP
01382 223084
----------------------
=20
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are =
addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, the e-mail and any files have =
been
transmitted to you in error and any copying, distribution or other use =
of
the information contained in them is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please advise us immediately.
=20
Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or other legal
commitment on the part of DUSA unless confirmed by a communication =
signed on
behalf of DUSA by an authorised signatory. Please note that it is a
disciplinary offence for any employee or representative of DUSA to =
download
any offensive, lewd, racist, libidinous or immoral material.