Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 09:44:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, owensc@enc.edu, wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu, dnex@access.digex.net, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP masquerading (for a LAN, _not_ PPP)

> > FreeBSD 2.2 includes the feature "DIVERT SOCKETS"
> > these can be used in conjunction with the ipfw code to
> > create a translation feature.
> >
> > Use the 'divert' keyword with the Ipfw to divert a packet to
> > a 'divert socket' that is openned by the translation daemon.
> > the daemon monitors incoming packets and 'fiddles' the headers
> > accordingly.
>
> isn't it a bit expensive ? I mean, do all the packet go to userland
> where the daemon modifies them and then back to the kernel ? If this is
> the situation, it sounds like a significant overhead per packet, so you
> only want to do it at the slow side of a router.

Exactly, thats why I did it in the kernel :)
I've mesured the overhead long ago when I started this, and on my
rusty old 25Mhz 386SX this works just dandy with 10MBps and
multiple connections with kernel resident code. I tried a
couple of simple attempts on a userland implementation, but
it bailed out on ~100Kbps...
(And for those wanting it, its not releasable, sorry)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..