Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:50:57 -0700
From:      heinig <heinig@HDZ-IMA.RWTH-Aachen.de>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> Harold Gutch wrote:
>
> > Are there any apparent reasons for this you would share with us ?
>
> The reasons are twofolded - one thing is that most of the private and
> commercial users of i4b seem to have a strong consume-only mentality,
> and i don't like to be a free outsourced development department. The

I presume you mean a mentality "I donīt care *how* it works, as long as it works OK". That would
indeed be somewhat irritating to a free developer - the same attitude is depressingly prevalent
in other areas, for example Samba. People donīt seem to understand that there isnīt 20-30
billion Dollarsī worth of computer company supporting stuff like Linux and FreeBSD in general
and i4b in particular.
I can understand youīre a trifle miffed now, but donīt take it too personally - if people knew
how much effort and spare time goes into free software, they might be somewhat more
appreciative.
The other point Iīd like to make applies to me personally and certainly a couple of other
subscribers to this mailing list: it takes a great deal of time and experience to attain a level
of competence at which one is in a position to make *useful* contributions to i4b. If it means
anything to you, I might like to add that Iīm using your sources to get an idea of how to write
device drivers and communications software. My aim is to be able to implement some of your to-do
list, but Iīll need more time and the odd helping hand. Please donīt forget those of us out here
who *do* want to know how it all works, are very grateful indeed for your efforts and will, in
time, contribute.

> other thing is the reaction or non-reaction in public and private of
> the FreeBSD core team regarding an open letter published on -hackers
> which indicate that it is neither necessary nor worth nor appreciated
> to contribute to FreeBSD and all is fine as long as one shuts up.

I subscribed to -current for a while and I did notice the odd person or two with a serious ego
problem. Donīt let that get you down. For every one person who denigrates your achievements, I
can assure you there are *at* *least* 100 who are highly appreciative. Remember to include that
in your reality check.