Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, hoek@hwcn.org, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I say sod that, it's time for a little more self-imposed genetic
> discipline.  Instead of working so damn hard to dumb-down each and

Heck, forget "genetic discipline"!  Let's go all the way and
practice eugenics!

> alone and enhance our educational system with more "how to avoid
> getting cut on the sharp edges of life" classes.  Those students who
> pay attention to the lessons and retain this knowledge survive and
> those who hide in the boy's room smoking cigarettes and lack any
> natural cunning in recompense, don't.  No big loss at all.

Yes, we could call these lessons "laws" and "pr campaigns".

(I mean, really, how many people do you know who've gotten a
ticket for not wearing their seatbelt?  Those laws are just an
advisory).

> punishable offense), you'd maybe even go one step further.  Every
> year, by law, a small but significant percentage of truly *dangerous*
> products would be made and released in the "thrill seeker" category.
> Only a small logo would identify the product as dangerous, no other
> clue giving any indication of exactly *how* it was dangerous - that
> would be up to the user to figure out.  If you were injured or killed

Yes, we could have the government allow certain large
corporations to market and sell these lethal products, even
though the gov't knows that they are lethal.  The gov't could
even make tax money from these things, which we could call
cigarettes.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk