Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:27:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: skip requires X?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > Now that way of approaching things I can completely agree with.  It would
> > indeed be a good thing if it were possible to option in or out some
> > dependencies at build time.  Make packaging damn near impossible, tho.
>
> Not especially. There's no reason you couldn't make the package require
> all the bells and whistles through reasonable defaults, and still allow
> people to build pared down versions by compiling the port from scratch
> (using something like the NO_X11 environment variable, for example). A
> good example of something that works like this already is cvsup; the
> package assumes you have X installed, but you can build the port without X
> support by setting NO_X11=YES.

Well, a long time back when we discussed this, the feeling was that every
kind of package would have to be built, and worse, named.

> Cheers,
> Mick

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.