Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 18:45:49 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FW: iHEADS UP: ipsec packet filtering change

On Thursday 15 May 2003 04:47 pm, Subscriber wrote:
> [...]

I too have heard it said. Last fall with 4.7-stable I removed the
gifconfig stuff from an IPsec tunnel I administer and lo and behold it
worked!

Then moved from the 4.7-stable branch of RELENG_4 to RELENG_4_7 to see
if I could resolve another problem where ipfw treated packets coming
out of my tunnel as having come from the interface their tunnel was
routed (my external NIC, fxp1). Wanted to /dev/null any RFC 1918
addresses from the outside world but didn't want to do the same for my
own RFC 1918 nets.

My IPsec tunnel no longer worked in 4_7 until I uncommented the very gif
stuff I had earlier removed.

There is now a section in the LINT config describing current policy:

# Set IPSEC_FILTERGIF to force packets coming through a gif tunnel
# to be processed by any configured packet filtering (ipfw, ipf).
# The default is that packets coming from a tunnel are _not_ processed;
# they are assumed trusted.
#
# Note that enabling this can be problematic as there are no mechanisms
# in place for distinguishing packets coming out of a tunnel (e.g. no
# encX devices as found on openbsd).
#
#options IPSEC_FILTERGIF    #filter ipsec packets from a tunnel

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net