Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:40:10 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve.bertrand@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: Editor With NO Shell Access?

On 2012-03-12 15:19, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have a situation where I need to provide people with the ability to edit
> files. However, under no circumstances do I want them to be able to exit
> to the shell. The client in question has strong (and unyielding) InfoSec
> requirements in this regard.
>
> So ... are there editors without this feature? Can I compile something like
> joe or vi to inhibit this feature?

I don't know if this will help, but it may provide an idea that could
spark something further.

You can force a user directly into an editor so they have no shell
access. For example, if the user has '/bin/csh' as their login shell,
adding:

exec /usr/local/bin/vim

into their ~/.cshrc file will force them directly into vim. When they
exit vim, they are immediately logged off.

However, I don't believe this will provide them any way to see their
files though.

vim's ":open filename" and ":w filename" still work, but shell commands
(eg ":! ls -la") don't.

Steve