Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:20:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail--2 questions/msg size, non-responsive pop

Good day--

I have a couple questions:

1.  I have been searching for a way to limit email
message sizes specific to entries in the aliases file.
 I've set a global maximum message size in sendmail.cf
for all users, but I also have some alias entries that
utilize :include: and would like to limit the size of
messages destined to those addresses (i.e.
distribution lists can only receive 100k messages, but
users can receive up to 2MB messages)

2.  Sometimes when I check email with Outlook (qpopper
3.1) and it's been several hours or a day, I cannot
connect and the following message shows up in the
log/messages:

Mar 16 09:43:39 [hostname] qpopper[361]: EOF from  at
192.168.0.5 (192.168.0.5):
[0] 60 (Operation timed out); 0 (Undefined error: 0)
Mar 16 09:43:39 [hostname] qpopper[361]: (null) at
192.168.0.5 (192.168.0.5): -ER
R POP EOF or I/O Error: 60 (Operation timed out); 0
(Undefined error: 0)

If I telnet into port 110, I cannot establish
communication with qpopper either.  After about 2
minutes or so, it responds normally (when querying
again) and I'm able to check mail just fine.  It seems
like it's (qpopper or the port) just falls into in a
sleep-mode, and once it's active, I can check messages
without a problem.  The problem appears only after a
significant amount of time from the last pop activity.

Thank you for your assistance!
Henry