Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:10:52 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Check Diffs Question

So, like Krzysztof Zaraska was saying to me just the other day:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, David G Andersen wrote:
>
> >   It's probably a simple trojan with a pretty interface on it that
> > says, (if username == "root", ask for their password.  If crypt(input) ==
> > that stored password, grant access to the system).
>
> I agree that this is the way this thing should work, but I was wondering:
> I string original ypchfn and I see a bunch of lines like "no uid for %s"
> resembling arguments for printf() so I guess that is ypchfn's user
> interface. But in this trojan I can't see neither these lines nor
> something resembling a path to the original ypchfn. So, my question is:
> how does it masquerade to the user as original ypchfn not having it's user
> interface inside? Or, maybe, the trojan contains ypchfn-like user
> interface but it cannot be seen with by running strings on it?

So I'm willing to `od` this executable and send it to someone
if someone is, like, seriously wanting to reverse engineer it.
Or perhaps even `nm` it too.

I'm personally not spending time reverse engineering it until I get
a DMZ firewall in place. :-)

jdl