Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 00:44:47 -0500
From:      Bob Perry <rperry@gti.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to Reinstate gamin-0.1.5_2 Dependency

On Tue January 31 2006 11:58 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 23:10 -0500, Bob Perry wrote:
> > I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 and recently cvsup'd my system  and followed that
> > with portupgrade.  I subsequently ran pkgdb -Fu and was asked if
> > gamin-0.1.5_2 was a stale dependency for gnomevfs2-2.12.2_1 and
> > inadvertently responded yes.  I attempted to reinstall gamin-0.1.5_2 and
> > received a message stating that it was in conflict with fam-2.6.9_6 which
> > I found was required by
> > firefox-1.5_5,1.  The message also indicated that I should delete
> > fam-2.6.9_6 and then I could complete installation of gamin-0.1.5_2  so I
> > did.  I ran pkgdb -Fu again and replaced fam-2.6.9_6 with gamin-0.1.5_2
> > as a dependency of firefox.  I expected to see a similar prompt
> > requesting me to make gamin-0.1.5_2 a dependency of gnomevfs2-2.12.2_1
> > but did not.
> >
> > Both, gamin-0.1.5_2 and fam-2.6.9_6 seem to fulfill the same function of
> > monitoring file alterations (?). I don't fully understand the purpose but
> > my question is how do I return gamin-0.1.5_2 as a dependent of
> > gnomevfs2-2.12.2_1 and was I correct in making it a dependent of firefox?
>
> You can only have one installed.  The following command will replace fam
> with gamin:
>
> portupgrade -o devel/gamin -f fam
I already removed fam when I installed gamin so this command doesn't recognize
fam.  However, it seems as though I need to do more than simply change
dependency via pkgdb -Fu.  For instance, gamin is now a dependency of firefox
because I change  it with the pkgdb -Fu command.  If I understand your
command, I really need to run portupgrade on firefox to make the change
whole.  Correct?

Thnx,
Bob