Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:28:01 -0700
From:      David Brodbeck <brodbd@uw.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig accepting hostname as ipv4 address

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Thomas Rasmussen <thomas@gibfest.dk> wrote=
:
> On 08.06.2012 11:04, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
>>
>> We find it useful, and a significant aid to maintainability and
>> readability
>> of configuration files.
>
> Hello,
>
> What happens if your server reboots while the DNS
> server is down/unavailable ?

Shouldn't this still work if the machine has its own hostname
associated with its IP in /etc/hosts?  Is that not still common
practice?

I can see the logic here.  By putting the IP in /etc/hosts and the
hostname in the ifconfig, you only have to edit the address in one
place if it ever changes.

This reminds me that the old (pre-NWAM) way to configure Solaris with
a static IP was to put the IP and hostname in /etc/hosts, the hostname
in /etc/hostname.e1000g0 (or whatever your interface name was), the
gateway address in /etc/defaultrouter, and the network address and
netmask in /etc/netmasks.

--=20
David Brodbeck
System Administrator,=A0Linguistics