Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:06:48 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setup

Alexander Langer wrote:

> I myself would have prepared to let setup check for new
> install-scripts on ftp.freebsd.org, e.g. that remove bugs, but
> everyone said, one should download new floppies in that case.
>
> Well, that removes some neat possiblities, e.g. downloading additional
> files.
> Remember XF 3.3.6, that missed a lib for 4.0?

That's because you are looking at it the wrong way. The installer must
*NOT* contain the install "script". If XF 3.3.6 is missing a lib, the
install _script_ should contain that change. _That_ you are allowed to
download, as it won't take 5-10 minutes.

> In my eyes, one with a network connection could have done the
> following:
>
> * tclh is started from the boot-floppy
> * setup.tcl checks for new .tcl scripts, if a network connection is
>   given (even for CDROM-isntalls!)

Optionally. Or, perhaps, optionally not. You may assume you know better
than the user, as long as you let the user contradict you.

> * a new X-install script is found, which is executed in spite of the
>   one on the CD. All other scripts are taken from the CD.
>   This script's latest step is the retrieve the missing lib from
>   ftp.freebsd.org and complete the installation.
>   This is a way nice way of bug-fixing, which can't be done by just
>   downloading new floppies....

This procedure I don't have a problem with. It's retrieving tclh I have
a problem with. First, it's slow. Second, even if it isn't, we don't
have an interface up to do this task until we have tclh!

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		Windows works, for sufficently small values of "works".