Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:24:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, developers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmgr duties expand

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Paul Richards wrote:

> --On Saturday, November 17, 2001 19:01:45 -0700 Warner Losh
> <imp@harmony.village.org> wrote:

> > Core is pleased to announce that as of Tuesday, November 11, we've
> > delegated the maintenance of the ports tree to the portsmgr team.
> > They have been maintaining the infrastructure make system for a while
> > now.  To that list, we've added the ability to approve ports
> > committers; to resolve disputes within the ports tree; and to generally
> > manage the ports tree as appropriate.
>
> Will committers approved by the postmgr team be restricted to working in
> the ports tree or will they have free reign as other committers do?

In this case, 'ports committer' refers to the right to commit to the ports
tree only.  Although this is not enforced by the CVS scripts, it's easy to
imagine that it might be in the future.

> What's the process for becoming a src or docs committer if you were
> originally approved by portsmgr and not by core?

The procedure being used, when it comes up, is to go through the same
procedure process for any non-committer, via a core@ vote and assignment
of a mentor.  I expect that that procedure will be formalized at some
point.  It should be noted that in the past, there have been a number of
developers who have 'drifted' categories without a formal process, and
that may be something we choose to limit that in the future and require a
formal transition.  Given that many ports committers have mentors who are
also ports committers, assigning a src committer to them for the
transition makes a lot of sense: there's a whole different set of rules,
toes, etc.