Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantifying entropy

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> Could you make a couple of megabytes of you raw samples
> available? I don't have a soundcard at hand but I do
> have the FIPS-140 tests and a bunch of others.

Sure, they're at physics.usc.edu/~kennaway/soundnoise.bz2 (just over 10M
worth)

Some interesting numbers:

The shannon entropy of this sample as a pure probability distribution is
8.50 bits/sample (they're 16-bit signed values).

Compressing with gzip -9 and comparing the file sizes gives an entropy
estimate of 10.4 bits/sample.

Compressing with bzip2 -9 gives an estimate of 7.90 bits/sample,
suggesting there is indeed some time-correlation in the signal noise.

Kris