Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:16:17 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, portscout@portscout.zi0r.com, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports you maintain which are out of date

--On November 28, 2012 11:36:26 AM +1030 Shane Ambler
<FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz> wrote:

> On 28/11/2012 09:45, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:
>>> can be this daily spam turned off? i emailed there
>>>
>>> portscout@portscout.freebsd.org
>>>
>>> but message was not delivered
>>
>> It's not spam, but a very useful service. I you don't work on any
>> ports, you should be able to filter it very easily with procmail or
>> your mail reader.
>>

> Probably more to the point is that it shouldn't get sent to the ports
> mailing list - just to port maintainers.

Did you ever think that sending it to the list might motivate someone else
to take over the port?

There's a reason ports get out of date.  One of the reasons is because the
port maintainer has lost interest or no longer has the time.  If people on
the list see it, someone who is motivated might update the port and end up
being its new maintainer.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst