Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 14:50:21 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        kav@ihlpf.att.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   AT&T Starlan NAU Problem

<<On 9 Mar 95 08:34:00 -0600, kav@ihlpf.att.com said:

> During an FTP of a large file I see reset messages (which it seems to
> recover from). Sometimes there are no reset messages - the system just
> locks up tighter than a drum. I also tried NFS but as you can imagine that
> only caused the problem quicker.

> The card is a 16K card at the standard settings. Is this a known problem
> with the driver? Is there a recommended card that I should be using?

There are two problems.  First of all, the card itself is too slow to
keep up with full-speed transmissions.  Secondly, the driver gets a
receiver-not-ready interrupt and goes into fits because it doesn't
know what to do, and eventually locks up.  I've been sitting on the
NetBSD version of this driver, which might fix these problems, but
have avoided doing anything with it 'cos I haven't got one of those
cards any more (and wouldn't take one if you gave it to me).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.