Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:31:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Borg SRM? (was: Lynx test / 2nd attempt)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, 'Wilko Bulte' wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 10:34:15AM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > Dear All,
>
> > I can't resist dripping a little oil on the fire. I'll be accepting flames
> > for that in the next ten minutes.
>
> You bet..

> > > Next to everybody: Adaptec 29xx come to mind.
> > >
> > Ok, how about a wrapper around SRM, delegating all the do-thing-quickly
> > tasks to the real and untarnisched SRM, but adding hooks for the more
> > mundane task of getting the first few blocks off a controller that SRM
> > pretends isn't there.
>
> My vision: don't we have enough problems with getting the alpha port
> working on the various alphas? I mean, do we really need extra complexities
> that might be triggered by hardware that has not been tested with SRM
> and needs weird hacks?

Weird hacks suck in the grand scheme of things, especially when you need a
lot of them, it makes things ugly.  :)

So what about simply booting from a floppy with the neccessary kernel on
it and mounting the root filesystem from there?  FreeBSD will recognize
the device whether SRM sees it or not, correct?  Is this not a feasible
option?

Mike