Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:46:09 -0700
From:      Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT]hwpmc update for sandybridge-e

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> So, I did the bear minimum and kind of hacked things together without
> understanding precisely what I was doing, and I was able to massage the
> sandybridge-e CPUs into giving me some basic functions.
>
> Comments or concerns before I commit this?

fabient@ already added some Ivy Bridge support to hwpmc.  You may want
to rebase based on his changes.

I'd suggest SANDYBRIDGE_XEON, rather than SANDYBRIDGE_E only because I
think it will make it more clear/correct.

I'd also suggest putting something in uncore_pcpu_fini to not clear
the EVSEL MSRs for SNB Xeon.  By adding the new CPU type like you did,
it has the effect of using the WSM EVSEL MSRs here (see the SELECTSEL
macro in hwpmc_uncore.c).  This is likely harmless, but isn't correct,
and would be safer to just not clear the EVSEL MSRs at all, since
there are no uncore events defined for your new CPU type anyways.

Regards,

-Jim