Date:      17 May 1999 23:45:18 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting Attack

Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
> I'm seeing a number of packets from sites around the Internet to
> port 1096.  What service lives on port 1096?  Has anyone seen this
> before?

None. I think somebody's trying to bounce packets off your machine to
another box by spoofing the source address, *or* somebody has been
sending spoofed packets with your IP as source address to some other
boxen.

Look at the source ports: 23 (telnet), 139 (NetBIOS), 6667 (IRC)... I
checked the IP addresses which appear with port 6667, and they're all
IRC servers. You wouldn't expect connections to *originate* from port
6667 on these boxen; I think somebody sent them SYN packets made up to
look as if they came from you, and they replied.

In any case, I don't think you're the target; you're just an innocent
passer-by which they picked to pin the blame on (from the POV of the
target sites, it looks as if *you* ran a port scan on them - or would
if your firewall hadn't dropped those packets).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no