Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 08:23:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding IDE to SCSI

In a previous message, Doug White said:

> > > Did you run Fdisk and make sure that the active partition is set to the
> > > Win95 one on the IDE disk?   FreeBSD will reset the active partition bit
> > > and if it's on the second disk it won't boot.
> >
> > So the second disk (SCSI sd0) should not have anything set as active?
>
> Yeah, I think so.  That will cause the system to try to boot your IDE disk
> which will have booteasy on it.

Ok, so how do I set the disk so that there is no active partition? I played
around with fdisk (and read the man page), but it insists on there being one.

> > That may be another problem.

> > > That failed.

Last night I tried both OS-BS and Booteasy. OS-BS never saw the SCSI drive,
booteasy saw it and gave me the F5 option, but hitting F5 just gave me the
menu again.

> > Ok.

> > > I have it on and it doesn't cause any problems.
> >
> > I have this pseudo intelligent IDE controller from GSI. It says to not
> > have Shadowing on when you're configuring drives, which I would guess
> > putting booteasy or OS/BS on would qualify.
>
> Perhaps.  You might try disabling it's onboard BIOS.  What model of card
> is it?

It's a GSI Model 18. There is no way to disable it's BIOS.

> > > Well, sort of. It won't be able to figure out how to boot it without a
> > > clue from the Boot: prompt..
> >
> > So I'll still have to type sd(1,a)/kernel at the boot prompt?
> > Ick. Maybe a 120 meg partition for / and swap on the IDE is a better route?
>
> I hope you don't get stuck in that rut.    You can split it if you like,
> but that's a pain to install. :(

Yeah, I don't really want to do that. I'm starting to think that I'll
just pull the 1 Gig SCSI and put both on the 2.5 Gig IDE. I'm doing fine
with 800 Meg for FreeBSD, so if I gave it 1.2Gig and Win95 1.2Gig, I
should be gold. Win95 is currently packed into 300 Meg (I have a 100 Meg
too).

Then I can put the 1 Gig on the shelf for when I can really upgrade to
a pentium and a new SCSI disk. Actually, I'd rather get another SCSI
drive but the price of IDE is so cheap.

> > > That shouldn't have happened.  Are you sure you installed to the right
> > > disk?
> >
> > Yeah, I pulled the SCSI's and it was still like that. Like I said, pseudo
> > intelligent controller.
>
> I would say not-very-intelligent controller.

You can say that again. I think I figured out how it got that label. I tried
it as a primary IDE controller (obviously, it's the only one), and the manual
says that that isn't especially good.

Paul.

--
"Due to a chronic shortage of robots and computers, your order has been
processed by a human being.  We regret any inconvenience this may have