Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 11:11:07 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using SGML (fwd)

On Wed, Oct 01, 1997 at 12:07:36AM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> I'm trying to convert a XyWrite document to docbook sgml, which I
> then wantto convert to html with sgmlfmt.  I'm calling it a book
> (although it's an article) because I want sgmlfmt to make links to
> "chapters."

So you want this document to be turned into multiple HTML files?

> Is there a source of information for tags that can be used?

There are a number. Probably your best bet is to look at

   http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/

which is John Fieber's list of Docbook resources. This includes links
to a number of documents with their Docbook source and an example
HTML rendering. It also includes pointers to the web pages for the
Davenport Group (who maintain the DTD) which includes a Docbook 3.0
'element index' at

    http://www.ora.com/homepages/dtdparse/docbook/3.0/

> Basically besides titles of "chapters" this document has text that's
> in bold and text that's underlined (and maybe some bold underlined
> text).  I understand that I'm supposed to classify these various
> bits of text rather than designate how they are to appear....
> although the tag <emphasis> seems usable.  Where would I find others,
> or am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

Hmm. Docbook is more for technical documentation where you want to convey
information such as "This is text the user should input", "This is a
warning", "This is a note" and so on. There's no markup in there to
specify things like 'bold' or 'underline'.

> Maybe I just need to find documents other than "newuser" in sgml
> docbook book format to get a few ideas.

John's page above contains five or six sample Docbook documents. Also,
I can mail you the Docbook source for

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade.html

> P.S. Would it be important to upgrade from sgmlfmt 1.3--I notice
> there are some changes.

Depends what else you've got installed with it. If you're using 'instant'
to turn Docbook into HTML you probably want to switch to Jade. The
latest version of the ports collection includes ports/textproc/sgmlformat
at version 1.4. If you get this then the dependencies should also suck
down the correct versions of Jade, the Docbook DTDs and sundry other
bits and pieces you need.

There's a message of mine in the mailing list archives about this, go
to:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=Docbook+tools&max=25&source=freebsd-doc&docnum=20

Also, search the mailing list archives (freebsd-doc) for the string

    "docbook and tools"

to get back a bunch of useful messages.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.