Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 95 16:27:16 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with Bustec BT-542B SCSI interface

> I've never heard the second as a term of speed, but
> to go like the clappers is used in AUS a lot..
> My imagination always connected it with
> something that is 'clapped out' (worn out in OZ at least).
> which led me to believe that a clapper was some proffession in
> times gone past (probably in england) in which one had to run fast
> and ended up exhausted.

"Go like the clappers" and "clapped out" seem like they could
refer to a horseback rider with saddlebags or stirrups with the
big leather flaps.  Either would imply speed in making noise.

"Clapped out" in that case might refer to the horse after being
ridden in such a way.

Either way, from the Australian origin of the original post, I'd
say you were right: it goes fast.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---