Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:21:17 +0200
From:      Stefan Grefen <grefen@carpe.net>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAID array benchmarks

In message <199609191729.KAA06675@ns.frihet.com>  "David E. Tweten" wrote:
> grefen@carpe.net said:
> >I assume from your statements that they use the 3 disks as  "Data
> >Data Parity" not as a 'true' RAID 5  "Data Data Data Data Parity"
> >(this would have other side effects too).
>
> If I read this right, it is an interesting, though incorrect,
> interpretation of the meaning of the various levels of RAID.

It didn't wanted to imply that the parity is always on the same disk.
As "Data Data Data Data Parity" on a 3 disk system rotes the parity through
the disks !!.

[...]

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                            Am Grossberg 16, 55130 Mainz, Germany
grefen@carpe.net                         +49 6131 998566   Fax:+49 6131 998568