Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:00:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

Hi Michael Smith;  On 28-Jan-97 you wrote:
> > 1.  Does anyone care?  Coming from (too much) Linux, and seeing 2.1.6,
> >     2.2-BETa, 3.0... it is not a stupid question.
>
> Er, yes.  Lots of people care.  2.2-BETA is the leadup to 2.2-RELEASE,
> the next production-level version.  3.0 is the current 'development'
> version, which will lead to a release probably sometime late this
> year.  Exposing the devlopment process like this means that everyone
> can see where things are going.

Good.  Coming from another freely distributed ``O/S'' over the last couple
of years, I am used to bi-weekly versions, etc.  This is why I asked.

> >          # mkdir /NewStuff
> >          # mount -t nfs -o ro nomis;/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff
> >          # ls -al /NewStuff
> >          ls: /NewStuff: Permission denied
>
> What are the permissions on "NewStuff" on the server?  Try "ls" without
> any other flags first.

Permissions matter not.  Can be 777, 1777 755, ...
The mount point simply disappears.

> It looks to me like the server is being _very_ weird.  Someone else
> (Doug R.?) might have a better idea about that.

Yea, I figured this much, but the Linux ``gurus'' insist, theirs is the
only ``correct'' NFS server...  As I said, it works (very well!) the other
way around...

> > 3.  Made a kernel with sound, etc...  Worked fine until some days ago.
> >     Now, all of the sudden, without me doing anything (really :-):
> >
> >     # xmcd -debug
> >     Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
> >     Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6
>
> Is there a CD in the drive?  6 is "not configured", which xmcd should be
> telling you.  A list of the boot-time probe messages (output of 'dmesg')
> would be handy here, as I suspect that your CD wasn't found.

Yup.  So much so that sysinstall tells me it is not a current installation
CD!  (Yes, it IS music, not iso9660 - Kitaro ``Ten Years'').
Actually, the problem may arise because there was a GNU distribution CD
in the drive at boot time.  Works for data, does not for music, until the
next boot.  Ugly.

Just checked.  I can mount an is09660 CD with no problem (even a Linux
one :-), but all the CD music tools I found cannot open /dev/rcd0c

crw-------   1 root     wheel     15, 536870912 Jan 24 16:01/dev/rcd0.ctl
crw-r-----   1 root     operator  15,   0 Jan 24 16:01 /dev/rcd0a
crw-r-----   1 root     operator  15,   2 Jan 24 16:01 /dev/rcd0c
crw-r-----   1 root     operator  15,   3 Sep 15 18:16 /dev/rcd0d

What is the kernel config option for CD audio support?

> > 4.  Shutdown questions:
> >
> >     a.  When init goes to single user, prompts, asking for a shell.
> >         You press ENTER and it sits on ``(.???msg - Cannot exactly
> >         remember) not found''
> >         ^C will get you a prompt, most of the time.  Sometimes you get
> >         a fast roll talking about some malloc() failure.  Sometimes a
> >         ^C will stop it, sometimes it will not.
>
> Er "init goes to single user"?  How are you shutting down?

# shutdown now

> >     b.  umount -a will leave things not in /etc/fstab mounted.
> >         It always leaves root mounted RW, only to fsck it at boot.
> >         Seems lie an unnecessary risk.
>
> You're _definitely_ not shutting down correctly. 'man shutdown'.

Thanx.  But ``shutdown now'' is a valid option, generates no complaints
and gives the results indicated.

> > 5.  More CD fun.  Once a music CD is played, you cannot mount a data
> >     cd because ``device is busy''.  Reboot cures.
>
> Try exiting the CD-playing program first, if you aren't already.

Yup.  Done that, been there.  To no avail. Something IS wron.

> > 8.  Education Question:  What is the logic in assigning slice ID's?
> >                          I understand c to be the entire disk
> >                          (why `c'? Why not?)
> >                          Why does sysinstall assign 'e', 'f',
> >                          but (almost) never 'd'?
>
> You mean partition names.  Tradition, mostly.  'a' is traditionally
> used for a root filesystem, 'b' for swap, 'c' for the whole disk, and
> d-h for 'other' partitions.  For a while, 'd' was used by various
> 386 BSD's to deal with the disparity between "the whole disk" and
> "the whole part of the disk that BSD uses"; this is obsoleted by
> the 'slice' paradigm.

Thanx!  now I know.

> > 9.  Some safety checks in disklabel and newfs and/or kernel slice-
> >     partition handling could be nice.  If you create an 'a' partition
> >     which is exactly an overlap of a 'c' in a slice that dominates
> >     the disk, newfs will FREEZE the system.
>
> Novel.  I've never seen that, and I've done it many times.

I checked some more.  It has to do with the manner in which disklabel is
called.  If you have it use /etc/disktab, all is well.  The -e is only safe
if you initialized with the (-rwB?) /etc/disktab option.

> > 10. Kernel Question:  On an i386 PC, how does one make sure that
> >     another driver does not use the same ISA ports as you do?
> >     You are trying to be nice and NOT use something someone else is
> >     already using.  There is a Linux thing to do that...
>
> ISA resource allocation is a particularly noisome can of worms.
> Currently, if your driver is configured with a base address in a
> region previously claimed by another driver, your probe routine won't
> be called.  That can obviously cause problems if you plan to probe
> several possible port ranges in a single probe routine.

Perfect!  Linux drivers seem to explicitly call some routine that registers
the addresses.  I like hte BSD solution better.

> If you have any particular ideas or requests here, please raise them,
> as we're always open to suggestions on cleaning this up.

A blow torch and a stick of dynamite :-)  Reason for asking is a PCI
controller that can be configured (via BIOS) to ``sit'' in ISA adress
range.  The Linux driver probes to see that it does not (essentially)
overlap with an IDE controller which it can emulate...

> > 11. Another Kernel question:  A device driver for a controller that
> >     is available in ISA, EISA and PCI. How do you split the code?
> >     We put the PCI part in pci, the ISA/EISA parts in i386/{isa,eisa}?
> >     But the code is NOT i386 dependant.  We are putting it in dev/dpt.
> >     Is that a good choice?
>
> Perhaps:
>  - have three seperate drivers (bad idea).
>  - look at the 'ahc' and 'bt' drivers; the former is pci/eisa, the latter
>    is pci/isa.  The 'ahc' driver also has code in dev/.

Yes, but pieces still sit in i386.  We will avoid that.  Thanx!

Simon