Date:               Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:30:00 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: cmdtool scrolling, owplace(1)...

Thus spake James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk> (Wed, 27 Dec 1995):

|  On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, I wrote:
|
|  > 1. I've noticed cmdtool repeats commands *infinitely* (ie: 'ls' repeatedly
|  >    executes) and the window must be killed.  shelltool with scrolling
|  >    enabled exhibits same behavior.  termcap issue?  'env' shows
|  >    TERM=xterm.
|
|  I usually run cmdtool from an xterm and get the opposite behaviour when I
|  do, for example, ls -la on my home directory - the cmdtool locks up after
|  the ls completes, and any further input ends up on the xterm I invoked it
|  from!
|
|  There seem to be quite a few problems with the xview and olvwm ports (that's
|  not being critical - it must have been quite a job getting it to work at
|  all). Here are all the things I've done that seem to improve things:-
|
|  1. Change all calls to cfree() to free().
|  2. Edit all the hard-coded references to "/usr/lib/X11" (yuck!)

Righto, was thinking of messing with the source...

|  3. ln -s /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11
|  4. Add the following to your .profile, if you use sh/bash/ksh as your shell:-
|      EXTRASMENU=/usr/X11R6/lib/.text_extras_menu
|      OLWMMENU=/usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu
|      OPENWINHOME=/usr/X11R6
|      export EXTRASMENU OLWMMNEU OPENWINHOME
|
|     If you use csh/tcsh, add to your .cshrc instead:-
|      setenv EXTRASMENU /usr/X11R6/lib/.text_extras_menu
|      setenv OLWMMENU /usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu
|      setenv OPENWINHOME /usr/X11R6

Thanks.

Already done (except for OLWMMENU): I've got Suns at work to admin, so I
can compare with them.  I didn't need OLWMMENU after setting OPENWINHOME
(since this is a standalone install for now, I'm making these global in
/etc/csh.cshrc -- may change later).  Edited openwin-menu to taste, and
added some submenus, along wth my favorite xlock variants.

|  5. Either copy the distribution clients/olwm/.olwmmenu to
|     /usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu or write your own (or do what I did and
|     steal the one that comes with Slackware! 8-)

Better yet, I hacked one from the SunOS boxes...

|  Further suggestions welcome as I think I've reached the point where further
|  investigation would require knowledge of X programming and a lot of spare
|  time, neither of which I have very much of 8-(
|
|  > 2. Attempts to save workspace by adding
|  >         "Save Workspace"    SAVE_WORKSPACE
|  >
|  >    to the OpenWindows system menu/submenus results in a popup basically
|  >    stating that owplace(1) failed to execute.  Assuming it's a binary,
|  >    naturally it's not around.  What package/port is it part of?
|
|  Most of the binaries on the menu seem to be missing, presumably as Sun has
|  more restrictive licensing terms on them.

It was owplaces (I checked last night), and it's very similar to
xlsclients (Sun manpages again), but no nice clean "write the script and
put most of the apps in background mode".  I can probably work around it.

Now for some other neat stuff, most of you may want to ignore it.  It
turns out that simply hitting <Enter> in cmdtool results in a flurry of
prompts (my box is called gate -- very imaginative):

gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate# gate#
gate# gate#

and so on until <Ctrl-C>, when it happily stops and waits for my next
mistake.  More interesting, when you pull up the pane menu (right mouse)
and Text Editor -> Enable, the damn thing turns into textedit !!!
Everything's there, but as luck would have it, cmdtool apparently accepts
no command line args to force this behavior from the start, else I'd just
christen a script 'textedit' with appropriate contents.

Now I want to get at the source for this little beast.  I know,
I'll be sorry later, but I'm a programmer among my other dubious
abilities.  Even funnier, the man page for cmdtool mentions textedit (so
they borrowed the manpage from Sun -- no surprise).  And check the info
pages in $OPENWINHOME/lib/help: workspace.info talks about the entire Sun
package: filemgr, mailtool -- this is driving me nuts.

OK, so what gives?  Where should I take my tragic tale, XFree-questions?
Is there such a thing?

many thanks for the accompanying violin music,
larry