Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:03:34 +1000
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the technique described in this article do-able with

+-------[ f.johan.beisser ]----------------------

| i wouldn't put it that far down, just yet. i don't see how much of an
| advantage it would be over a fully operational box, on the other hand.

Even if it were in a comatose state, you might have some problems with
using natd since your userland is gone. You could only use kernel space
tools.

I don't see any real difference over a FreeBSD box in a halted state
(assuming it worked that way), and a Packet Filter that was running on
{MS|Free}DOS.

It might be easier (and faster) to configure FreeBSD not to come all the way up,
(or restrict what does) rather than not to go all the way down (we have a
nice rc system d8)

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|                      | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |                      |