Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 95 18:15:35 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: another 2.0.5 installation report

> o the decision whether a file system is acceptable as a root fs should
>   be made based on the fdisk slot #, and not on the physical location
>   on the disk

That's impossible.

You must always consider a file system unacceptable as a root fs if it
spans or exceeds BIOS cylinder 1023.  This is because the BIOS must read
the kernel, and to do that, the kernel's blocks must be located in an
area of the disk addressable by BIOS.

If you are willing to throw out the ROM firmware for booting on your
PC and replaces it with something that uses absolute sector rather
than C/H/S values, well then, the limit goes up to 2^32 512 blocks,
or at-or-below the 2TB range.

If you do replace the boot firmware, may I suggest you implement
OpenFirmware or Motorolla's "BUG" firmware?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.