Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:00:03 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: zfs zvol: set geom mediasize right at creation time

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andriy Gapon" <avg@FreeBSD.org>

> on 23/09/2012 04:04 Steven Hartland said the following:
>> Do you know what the effect of the volblocksize change
>> will have on a volume who's disk block size changes?
>> e.g. via a quirk for a 4k disk being added
>
> I am not sure that I got your question...
> My patch doesn't affect neither volblocksize value nor
> disk block size [geom property].
> It changes only stripe size geom property.
>
>> I ask as we've testing a patch here which changes ashift to
>> be based on stripesize instead of sectorsize but in its
>> current form it has some odd side effects on pools which
>> are boot pools.
>>
>> Said patch is attached for reference.
>
> I think that the patch makes sense and would be curious to
> learn more about the side-effects.

Right finally tracked the problem down. The issue was that
opening a pool which has multiple vdev's vdev_open is called
where vd->vdev_asize != 0.

This means the vd->vdev_ashift calculation is done on existing
devices despite the comment:-
/*
 * This is the first-ever open, so use the computed values.
 * For testing purposes, a higher ashift can be requested.
 */

Due to the alignment requirement check below this causes the
zpool open to fail.

I've now fixed this by moving the use dashift into the volume
label code which is only run on creation.

PR with updated patch submitted:-

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.