Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 21:25:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultrastor unhappiness/crashing

Michael Smith stands accused of saying:
> Jul 25 00:03:59 borax /kernel: sd0(uha0:0:0): host adapter code inconsistency
> This is the first time I've had this crash, although the inconsistency
> messages have been piling up ever since 2.0.5 (one of the last ALPHAS) was
> installed.

Or perhaps more accurately since I've been tinkering with scsi(8).
(I can't be sure of this, but I am reasonably; big fingers 8)

So, a new variation on the question : what's wrong with this :

scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -c "0 0 0 0 0 0"

It's a Test Unit Ready command; it neither sends nor returns data, so
I'm not specifying any.  Results vary depending on what I do before and
after it.

In what we can pretend is an 'idle' state, I get no output.
If I run an Inquiry command (as per the scsi(8) manpage) after it :

scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -c "12 0 0 0 64 0" -i 64 "s8 z8 z16 z14"

I get :

SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl: Command accepted.
return status 4 (Unknown return status)Command out (6 of 6):
12 00 00 00 64 00

Data in (0 of 64):

No sense sent.
SEAGATE ST11200N 9390000666316

and an inconsistency message from the kernel.  I get the same result
from the CDrom (Matsushita CR-503), but oddly _not_ from either the
Micropolis 4110 or my TDC-3660.

(Speaking of which, how do I take the SCSI-2 version of the '3600 off
the rogue list?)

I'm presuming 'difference of opinion' between the SCSI interface in the
four devices, but obviously I'm doing something wrong myself.

A study of scsi_base.c didn't reveal anything special about the
way in which Test Unit Ready is handled, so I'm at a little of a loss
at this point.  Any suggestions?

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[