Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:50:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adduser chmod permissions

Personally, my skel account tree has something like this in it:

public/
private/
prototypes/
	dot.*
public_html/
	index.html

public/ is work readable, user readable/writable
private is only user readable/writable
prototypes is only user readable/writable, and contains the dot.* files
that are normally in the skel directory (I have fairly all-encompassing
/etc/csh.*,profile stuff)
public_html/ has appropriate permissions, and contains a sample web page
for the user.

This way it is clear to my users where files should and shouldn't go; I
also don't get to explain how to set permissions on a public_html
directory for ftp/samba users. :)  With the prototypes/ arrangement, I
don't have to deal with the forever morphing prototype dot files across
various versions of BSD resulting in each user having a markedly different
environment.

One thing I really miss in FreeBSD having had accounts in AFS/Coda is the
ability for users to create and maintain their own groups.  Very useful to
be able to say ..

fs sa friends/ rnw:friends read

Etc.  Maybe ACLfs (whenever) should add user-definable group support? :)
Certainly the Coda port to FreeBSD should do that.  A new protection
server was/is being written at Yale to provide distributed group
information across a Coda realm.  I'm not sure when that gets integrated
with the main Coda distribution.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/