Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 20:15:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        karl@mcs.com (Karl Denninger, MCSNet)
Cc:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net, Peter.Delaney@eng.sun.com, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net.hq.icb.chel.su, fnf@amigalib.com, bardhan@corp.megatest.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: 4GB Seagate Barracuda (Hawk Replacement) goes nuts after a while

> > purchased independently. Seagate is a good example. We have a couple
> > of Seagate 1G Hawks in ICLs and they are working very stable.
> > DEC uses Seagate Barracuda as their RZ-29 disks and they work stable too.
> > But when we purchased two Hawks directly from a Seagate dealers we had
> > lots of troubles with them. We had like problems with Micropolis.
> > It looks like computer manufacturers do some additional testing and/or
> > low-level formatting or HDD manufacturers divide their disks by
> > cathegories using some tests.
> >
> > -SB
>
> No, the issue is elsewhere.
>
> Look to handling.  Many distributors and resellers abuse the drives when
> stocking them or otherwise handling them in the course of retailing.
>
> Shock will cause drives to fail -- and not always immediately.  Anything
> which damages or nicks the media, even slightly, will eventually result in
> drive failure.
>
> Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity

I have to disagree with Karl. I work for DEC in the Storage Business
Unit and I know that before the RZxx drives from Seagate became
RZxx products there has been a _LOT_ of testing and qualification.
And also firmware revisions.. So, there are differences apart from
handling issues. Bad handling is of course a known problem in the
HD area but there is more to it

Wilko