Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:20:31 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   disabling soft updates

I have a Supermicro server with an Adaptec 2020SA RAID card and RAID10
setup. This server is mainly used as an NFS host for  VMware data
storage of VM's. I have been having the following issue locking up the
server....

aacd0: COMMAND 0xffffffff808599e0 TIMEOUT AFTER XXXX SECONDS

I reboot, clean the partitions in single user mode and all comes back up
fine. After some searching, I found that it could be the card or perhaps
I should disable soft updates using tunefs. I verified the partitions do
have soft updates enabled except for the root partition. There is one
/data partition that serves the VM's to VMware and it has soft updates
enabled as well as the /usr and /var partitions. Does anyone have any
experience with doing this or whether disabling soft updates on one or
more of these partitions is a good idea, what effects it would have for
this type of usage for the server?

Also, if I replace the RAID card, does anyone know if the RAID is lost
when doing so or it should recognize the existing RAID setup?

Thanks
--
Robert