Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:50:12 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc:        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/162991: java/openjdk6 fails to build

On Monday 12 March 2012 11:26 am, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 March 2012 02:50 am, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> >>   Ok, I found time to investigate it.
> >>
> >>   Everything is about arch guessing. java/openjdk7 substitutes
> >> amd64 for x86_64 while java/openjdk6 doesn't. I just added
> >> missing bits from correspondent java/openjdk7 patch.
> >>
> >>   Redports build:
> >> https://redports.org/buildarchive/20120307160255-45601
> >>
> >>   Patch attached.
> >
> > Sorry but it doesn't make any sense.  I guess you are patching
> > this:

> > # Platform settings specific to BSD
> > ifeq ($(PLATFORM), bsd)
> >    OS_VERSION := $(shell uname -r)
> >    # Arch and OS name/version
> >    mach := $(shell uname -m)
> >    archExpr = case "$(mach)" in \
> >                  i[3-9]86) \
> >                      echo i586 \
> >                      ;; \
> >                  *) \
> >                      echo $(mach) \
> >                      ;; \
> >        esac
> >    ARCH        := $(shell $(archExpr) )
> >    ARCH_FAMILY := $(ARCH)
> >
> > Unless "UNAME_m" environment variable is set, there is no way
> > that this patch does anything at all.
> >
> > % uname -r
> > 10.0-CURRENT
> > % uname -m
> > amd64
> > % env UNAME_m=x86_64 uname -m
> > x86_64
> >
> > I believe OpenJDK7 added it because some BSDs (e.g.,
> > DragonFlyBSD) return x86_64 for "uname -m".
>
> So why it ends up in our port and not in DragonFlyBSD's pkgsrc?

OpenJDK7 patchset is shared with other BSDs:

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/OpenJDK/BSDPort

OpenJDK6 patchset was based on early OpenJDK7 patchsets and it may or
may not build on other platforms.  I am 99% sure it won't build on
DragonFlyBSD/x86-64, BTW.

> > BTW, does "make DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS=yes" make any difference?
>
> Actually after successful build I can't reproduce this issue
> anymore. I seem to miss some bits of data so I'll try to retest in
> clean environment.

These parallel build problems are very hard to reproduce.  Actually, I
was never able to reproduce it myself.

Jung-uk Kim