Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:24:14 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cc1 crashes with SIGBUS while building XFree86-Server-4.2.0_2

I've experienced this same problem today; but only after installing
5.0-current on the system in question.   It compiled fine with FreeBSD_4.5.

This is a 1.2ghz Pentium with 1gb of RAM.  No problems with other things
(large compile projects with 4.5 before).

_F

 > From: "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
 > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:28:48 +0200
 > To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
 > Subject: cc1 crashes with SIGBUS while building XFree86-Server-4.2.0_2
 >
 > I am getting this error while building XFree86-Server-4.2.0_2 on a
 > recently updated -CURRENT (Mon Apr 29 10:55:43 GMT):
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 > cpp0: cc: output pipe has been closedInternal compiler error: program
cc1 got
 > fatal signal 10

I have seen cc1 die like this many many times, and have only ever seen 2
root causes for the death:

  1) bad ram
  2) you overclocked the cpu or bus just a bit too much

cc1 dying on a long complex source module when you've overclocked beyond
what your silicon can handle is so reliable a test that it's the first thing
I use when trying to find the true speed a new system will run at.

If you're not overclocking, then bad ram would make a good second suspect, I
had a failing DIMM a couple years ago first manifest as signal 10 and 11
errors in cc1.

-- Ian