Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 2015 05:18:15 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots with splash

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> On 10/22/15 13:48, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>
> Read the handbook section about splash.
>> Your splash.bmp file has to be under 320x200 in size. For a bmp file
>> over that size you need to also load the VESA module.
>>
>> vesa_load="YES"
>>

> Hello Ernie and thanks for your time.
>
> I read that section (again), but found nothing new.
>
> My bitmap is 320x200x8, so it should be fine: it actually displays, so
> that's not the problem; frequent reboots are.
>
> Besides, I'm using this on several boxes and all but this one works fine
> (all without VESA).
>

>  bye & Thanks
>         av.

If you have two identical computers with the same programs running :
One is working correctly , but other one is booting arbitrarily :

Cause may be that an instruction address is broken and showing the boot
starting code
( either 0 or maximum to showing BIOS boot start code address , sometimes
ff...ff ) .

Therefore , there is a necessity to check that

- processor is working correctly
- memories are working correctly
- memory management chips are working correctly .

Another problem may be a program which is causing generation of an invalid
address showing boot start code and jumping into it . This is very easy for
a i386 real mode program .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk