Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:39:12 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PICO/Floppy based FreeBSD question/issue

I've been fighting with creating a boot floppy with some basic utilities
on it for most of the afternoon. I have a kgzip'ed kernel, and a crunchgen'ed
executable. I've put on it:

init
mount
umount
reboot/halt
sh
ls
ifconfig
ping
traceroute
dhcpc (from ports/net/wide-dhcp)

I've set up a /dev with
fd0
fd0a
fd0c
rfd0
rfd0a
rfd0c
console
ttyv0

I've set up /etc/rc script that:

/sbin/mount -u -o rw /
/bin/sh
/sbin/umount /
/sbin/reboot

I've set up /etc/fstab with:

/dev/fd0c	/	ufs	rw	0	0

Typically, when I boot the floppy, it fails on the mount command, above,
and I eventually get it to a shell. Running:

/sbin/mount -u -o rw /

yields "/dev/fd0c on /: specified device does not match mounted device". In
looking through the mount source, this is caused by an EINVAL return to
mount().

My question is why it is doing this. If I boot the hard disk in to single
user mode, and run this command, it works like a champ.

I have seen two differences in just running /sbin/mount. In one case, I
see:

fd0c on / (ufs, local, read-only)

The other time (if I specify fd(0,c)/kernel on the boot: line), I get
/dev/fd0c on / (ufs, local, read-only). This does not change my ability to
mount the device r/w.

The only kernel option I've seen that may have impact is ROOTDEVNAME. I've
added both "ufs:fd0c" and "ufs:/dev/fd0c", but neither seem to have an
impact.

My guess is I'm missing something dumb. I haven't played with this stuff since
3.X, its getting late, and my head is starting to hurt.

Clues welcome :)

	-Brian