Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:33:30 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: terminal emulation

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>I would like to use FreeBSD machine as a serial console to another FreeBSD
>>machine. Server part is described in the Handbook, but I have found
>>nothing about client part. Which program should I use for terminal
>>emulation? How can I make, for instance, xterm to communicate to the
>>serial port?
>
> cu(1).
>
> There are plenty of more featureful comm programs in ports/comms.

I use the port "minicom" and recommend it.  It's pretty small.  It uses
a (nice) curses interface, so it doesn't require X11.  It also has very
few dependences in the ports tree (just the lrzsz port).

One thing more thing.  The default for minicom is a vt102 terminal.  So
when you hook up to a FreeBSD server, your first command should be
"setenv TERM vt102".  Otherwise, FreeBSD will assume cons25.

If you want the swiss-army-knife of serial programs, there is always
Kermit from the ports tree.  It takes awhile to learn because it's got
so many options.  But once you learn it, it will connect to just about
anything.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@mindspring.com