Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:11:08 +1100
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-current@mawer.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Really poor performance on /dev/ttyv* only

On 1/11/2005 6:02 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I've just installed -CURRENT on a Dell Inspiron 6000, and I discover
> that the keyboard response on virtual terminals (/dev/ttyv*) is very
> slow.  If I keyboard repeat, the echo to the terminal is jerky, about
> 3 or 4 characters at a time with a marked delay in between.  Under X
> or over the network there's no problem.  Has anybody else seen this?
> The kernel isn't 100% GENERIC (I've disabled WITNESS and
> WITNESS_SKIPSPIN, for example), but I can't see anything that would
> explain this behaviour.

I've seen this on two FreeBSD 4.7 systems connected via a KVM (sharing
with two Windows 2003 servers)... typing at the console of them was
almost like typing via ssh on a satellite connection. Connecting via ssh
was fine, it was only locally that it was a problem. Resetting the
keyboard repeat rate on BSD had no discernible impact.

I put it down to some sort of interaction between the KVM, the Windows
servers and FreeBSD and put up with it...

Cheers
Antony