Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:16:40 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        guy@device.dyndns.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Report of collision-generation with MD5

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:51:50PM +0200, guy@device.dyndns.org wrote:
>=20
> On 18-Aug-2004 Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > As I have no crypto background to evaluate some of the (potentially wil=
d=20
> > and erroneous) claims being made in the popular press* (eg=20
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5313655.html see quote below), one thin=
g=20
> > that comes to mind is the safety of ports.  If someone can pad an archi=
ve
> > to come up with the same MD5 hash, this would challenge the security of
> > the FreeBSD ports system no ?
>=20
> I _believe_ answer is "no", because i _think_ the FreeBSD ports system al=
so
> verify the size of the archive(s) (cat /usr/ports/any/any/distinfo to see
> what made me think that).
>=20
> Padding would modify archive size. Finding a backdoored version that both
> satisfy producing the same hash and being the same size is probably not
> impossible, but how many years would it take ?

I suspect the fact that the files are compressed also adds significantly
to the difficultly since you don't have a whole lot of direct control
over the bytes of the archive.

Paranoia might suggest adding support for multiple hashes which would
vastly increase the difficulty of finding a collision (unless the hashes
used are broken in a very similar manner).  If someone can create a
=2Ebz2 containing a trojen that matches size, MD5, and SHA1, we're
probably totally screwed anyway. ;-)  If this were done, adding a
tool to generate multiple hashes in one go would probably make the users
happier since just reading some of the dist files can take a while.

Hmm, one thing to think about might be making sure the various archive
formats are hard to pad with junk.  I think the stream based ones need
to allow zero pading at the end to support tapes, but it would be
intresting to see if other junk can end up in pading sections without
the archiver noticing.  If so, that would be a good thing to find a way
to detect.

-- Brooks

--=20

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj