Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:00:41 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fresh server sendmail or postfix / webmail.

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 6:37 AM, Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:44:46 +0000, Marwan Sultan stated:
>> Dear FreeBSDer,
>>=20
>> Good day/evening.
>>=20
>> I have up and running mail server with some web apps, server running
>> since many years back until today (7-Release, =F0=9F=99=82 ) its time =
to move to
>> a new server! thank you freebsd!
>>=20
>> for the new server:
>> 1.
>> is it really important to change MTA to postfix or any other MTA than
>> sendmail ? or send mail is enough. (my existing old server is on
>> sendmail) its a Mail server !
>>=20
>> if yes,  is installing postfix from /ports enough?
>>=20
>> 2.
>> any recommendation for a webmail ? (maybe roundcube) ?
>> (on my old server openwebmail works great! but unfortunately, its
>> outdated)
>=20
> Personally, I would recommend 'postfix'. It is actively being =
developed
> and its email forum is the best that I have seen.
>=20

I too would recommend postfix. I use it since forever. As webmail I gave =
my users choice: squirrelmail and roundcube. Spam filtering is a mus =
(for us at lest), I set up maia with mysql backend for settings and =
quarantene. Alas, I was unable to make quarantene part work qith =
postgresql which would be my first choice. Maia allows per user spam =
preferences. It has its integrated part spamassassing, and works with =
virus scanners, and distributed spam databases. But installation, or =
rather configuration is a bit finiky. IMAP part is dovecot.

Good luck!

Valeri