Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 19:13:57 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        Hunter Fuller <hackmiester@hackmiester.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reason #465132 to Love FBSD....

On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:38:55 +0000
Hunter Fuller <hackmiester@hackmiester.com> wrote:

> On  17 May 2006, at 2:08 AM, Vulpes Velox wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:34:04 -0000
> > Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Use windows 2000, works better and faster than XP anyway, has all
> >> the features XP has, except the teletubby UI, but that's not a
> >> feature but the work of the anti-christ...
> >> No troubles with updating, or nagscreens
> >
> > Messing with wireless under XP is less of a PITA than 2k. What I
> > would really love to know is where to find the bloody key is that
> > some ass hole vendors nuke that forces you to use their broken
> > ass config gui.
> First you disable their utility from starting at boot. Then you
> scan for wireless networks, and when it complains about not being
> able to touch it, click the yellow star at left and enable Windows'
> managing the card. This is under SP2, if you need < SP2 reply, I'll
> happily assist.

That is the problem. The tab on the properties dialog that you would
normally tell windows to manage it is removed by it. The driver
installer will do this on are wireless cards installed and not just
the card it is being installed for.

I will check to see if the star thing is present on the available
wireless network window tomorrow though.

What I plan to do some time when I have some time to experiment up at
work is to install the card, dump the registry to a text file,
install the drivers, dump it to a text file again, and then diff it
and see what shows up.