Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:59:17 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018479558.57d7a3@mired.org>
To:        heikki soerum <heikkis@student.matnat.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: request/petition/question about the Gatos project.

In <20020405221335.3b38ee77.heikkis@login.ifi.uio.no>, heikki soerum <heikkis@student.matnat.uio.no> typed:
> I was wondering if the Gatos project at sourceforge.net could be ported
> to Freebsd? http://gatos.sourceforge.net/, Or if there allready are some equvalent
> allready portet to freebsd.
>
> The avview utility:
> http://gatos.sourceforge.net/avview.php
> This is the most important utility, if this and the ati.2 Xfree driver
> work it would give basic support for the ATI all in wonder series in FreeBSD.

I've not had any problems with the ati.2 driver either, except that it
leaves the monitor in a trashed state when I exit X and things aren't
reset until I reboot.

> In adition the avview utility requires:
> ffmpeg >0.4.5 (0.4.6 available on cvs at sourceforge.net)
> video4linux support... could Fbsd linux emulation work with
> video4linux kernel modules?

No. It's a kernel module. The Linuxulator maps Linux syscalls into
FreeBSD syscalls, it doesn't change APIs inside the kernel. You'd have
to port the module to FreeBSD.

> Please help, someone?
> I'd like to get rid of my VCR and TV ;)

I don't think that will do the trick. I've been using a Brooktree card
for recording video on FBSD for years, and the quality just isn't up
to a VHS tape. You could install Linux as a second boot OS, or buy a
separate card for capture. I know, neither is very appealing, but
those are the paths that are most likely to work in the near future.

	<mike