Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:46:52 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Ty Williams <listrecieve@insight.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems With Installation on OmniBook

--==_Exmh_1750141928P

> 	I am trying to get my first FreeBSD install going.  I was given a HP
> Omnibook 5700CT laptop recently.  I downloaded all the ISOs for 5.2.1,
> made the boot floppies, and took off.

> Does anyone know how to get the installer to move past this point?
> Thanks for you time and help.

Ty, I never tried 5.x, but my 5700CTX installed 3.x, PAO and 4.x
flawlessly - and ran them very well.

Might be worth trying to boot-strap from an earlier release - you can
always upgrade from source in-place.

Probably worth checking that your boot floppy doesn't have any errors -
QA on floppies went out the window a few years ago, and some literally
seem to go bad between the initial format and the first use - try
formatting it again with verification, getting the MD5 of the floppy
image, using another etc.

Also worth checking that all your memory is good - it's all pretty old
now...

One tip not related to FreeBSD but still applicable to a lot of HP
laptops is to use the Product Recovery CD to format the disk from
scratch - and /then/ delete the resulting 'Doze partition and install
BSD - this way you create the Suspend-To-Disk partition for the BIOS and
the Fn-F12 key actually works...

The Suspend-To-Ram key should work fine if you enable APM in 4.x.

Think I still have some kernel and X configs if you can get it up and
running.

HTH.

Cheers,

AS