Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:22:04 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        "Mazen S. Alzogbi" <freebsd@mazenalzogbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nOOb: FreeBSD & laptop

Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sending this to hear what everyone thinks of FreeBSD on laptops. To
> be honest, I don't want to replace FreeBSD with Linux on my laptop
> because of many reasons. Yet, I have to admit that I am having all
> source of troubles with FreeBSD on the laptop but not on the
> workstation!

There is a laptop list that would be more appropriate.

That said, I have a new Compaq Presario 2500 that FreeBSD-5.2 has no
problems with. 4.9 (and 5.1) had problems with it, but 5.2 did not. The
major difference seems to be better ACPI support in 5.2. You might want
to try 5.2 to see if that solves some or all of your problems.

David

p.s. If your laptop is a "ACPI only" machines, as many new laptops are,
then you don't want anything to do with apm. They are completely
different and sometimes conflicting mechanisms.