Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 97 20:30:47 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Charlie Roots" <osiris2002@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "root@isis.dynip.com" <root@isis.dynip.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-3.0 Current - utmp

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:04:03 -0800 (PST), Charlie Roots wrote:

>to convert older files, now the problem that I have a third-party
>daemon called 'idled' which as its name implies automatically logs off
>any idle user or process after certain time, it uses utmp files, and
>is now unable to read the utmp files and giving enormous amount of
>logging saying 'Error can't read utmp file' repeatedly,
>
>I have recompiled the daemon and changed the definition of USERNAME 16
>instead of 8 in its include files, the problem persists, although it
>successfully logs off any idle user. please help.

	FWIW, I've been running -Stable with 16 char usernames, and I
appear to be getting some corruption in utmp.  When I do 'last' it shows
my 16 char name, but it also shows some weird high ascii characters. I
deleted utmp and wtmp, and still have the same problems.

Wish I could help more, but at least you're not alone. :)

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,297 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***