Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

I thonk you are wrong..

here's the way I see it..

Kirk is working on UFS2.
All new systemsafter about the next 5 or 6 years will be created with
UFS2. Therefore what we are looking for is a way that exisiting embedded
systems can continue to run safely past 2038.
(actually file access times ON DISK should be treated as unsigned
as there were no UFS systems before 1970 but I digress)
There are not going to be UP systems in the next 6 years tha can touch 2
DIFFERNT files withinn the same microsecond, and even if a MP system did
so, there is no reason to not give them the same Microsecond timestamp,
since they could have been to the same nanosecond too. At least we know
that they do not have interdependencies or the system wouldn;t have
scheduled them to differnt processors where the relative completion times
couldn't be controlled. so it doesn't matter that we only have
uSec resolution in that field..

but here;s a better idea anyhow..

take the TOP 2 bits.. they can never be used now anyhow....
that gives us nanosecond resolution, which is all we can report now
anyway, and multiplies the seconds range by 4. Assuming that we do not
allow access times < 1970 on disk (there were no such files then,
then we are ok up to the year 2600, by which time we hope there are no
embededded systems from the next 5 years still running.....