Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2012 02:47:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off-Topic: Computing for the Blind

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:21:04 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	By the way, math done by any method other than Braille
> is darn next to useless. Equations in Braille can be formatted
> very much like they are in print and there is a whole Braille
> system for reading and writing math.

Interesting, I didn't know that. However, LaTeX allows
writing (and typesetting) math on a "pure text basis"
which may be interesting to authors who are unable to
access a GUI-driven formula editor. Of course there is
another learning courve here. But nothing does prohibit
a blind scientist to write his stuff himself, read it
himself; things as $\bar{x}=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}({x_i})}{n}$
can be quite easily be used if you have learned few
relatively simple things: typing on the keyboard,
using a powerful editor, the "LaTeX language", and
maybe Braille. This way, an author can concentrate
on content, while the tools step into the background
and let him just do his stuff.

> After all, it's unix which means one can expect
> certain behaviors regarding standard devices.

As long as the devices play nice... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany